YUSUF DIKEC: ‘I Am A Natural Shooter’

12:16 PM

 

You will recognise the pose and demeanour that has made Yusuf Dikec one of the most famous faces of Paris 2024.

The Turkish shooter has gone viral for the relaxed style of competition that led him to a silver medal in the 10m air pistol mixed team event with Sevval Ilayda Tarhan.

It has even turned into a popular celebration among other athletes, especially in the athletics competition at the Stade de France.

From Sweden’s Armand Duplantis to Australia’s Nina Kennedy, even the Team GB women's relay team before their final, everyone is doing the Dikec.

Dikec returned to a hero’s welcome in Türkiye and was asked about his unique style, one that has led him to his first Olympic medal after five Games appearances.

He told Haberturk: “At that moment, everyone says I seemed very calm, but actually storms were raging inside me. I think my shooting pose represented the Olympic spirit very well: the fair play, simplicity, clarity and naturalness. That’s why it got so much attention. I never needed that equipment. I am a natural. A natural shooter.”

Dikec, who made his Olympic debut at Beijing 2008, was awarded a silver medal for the first time at age 51 at Paris 2024. He already has his eyes on a sixth Olympic Games in four years’ time, where the Turkish shooter will look to go one step further and take gold.

“That’s why I don’t use many accessories,” he said. “My shooting technique is one of the rare shooting techniques in the world. I shoot with both eyes open. Even the referees are surprised by this. My partner and I will get the gold at Los Angeles 2028.”

 



 


You Might Also Like

0 comments